Grafill Animation + Motion Design and Fredrikstad Animation Festival are proud to present Anime Architecture – a showcase of iconic anime background artworks, curated and produced by Riekeles Gallery.
The exhibition presents superb reproductions of the urban architecture made for the big screen. These meticulous scenes, which are usually visible for only a few seconds, are presented as artworks where viewers can dive into the meticulously hand-drawn artificial wonderlands from famous films such as Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Metropolis, and more.
The showcase features high-grade 1:1 reproductions of works by Hiromasa Ogura (Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor - The Movie), Toshiharu Mizutani (AKIRA), Hiroshi Ohno (AKIRA), Shuichi Kusamori (Ghost in the Shell, Metropolis). These acclaimed artists belong to a generation of illustrators who draw animated films almost entirely by hand. Although today computer graphics are additionally used across all areas of production, paper, pencil and brush remain their essential tools. Thanks to their artistic craftsmanship, the works are finished with an intricate attention to detail.
All reproductions on display are available for purchase both at exhibition and online from www.riekeles.com. For the timespan of the exhibition Riekeles Gallery offers free shipping to all customers across Norway.
Visit the exhibition:
- October 18 – 22: Fredrikstad Kino, Nygaardsgata 16 Fredrikstad
Open during Fredrikstad Kino's normal opening hours
- October 26 - Nov. 5: Grafills hus, Møllergata 39 Oslo
Mon-Fre 10-16 and Sun 12-16
- October 18, 18:00: Screening of Akira, Filmklubb Fredrikstad, Fredrikstad Kino, Nygaardsgata 16 Fredrikstad (billetter: https://shorturl.at/efio8)
- October 18, 20:30: Exhibition opening, Fredrikstad Animation Festival, Fredrikstad Kino, Nygaardsgata 16 Fredrikstad
- October 19, 12:00: Lecture: Building Neo-Tokyo, the world of AKIRA, Fredrikstad Animation Festival, Fredrikstad Kino, Nygaardsgata 16 Fredrikstad
- October 26, 18:00 – 19:00: Lecture: Anime Architecture – Imagines Worlds and Endless Megacities, Grafill, Grafills hus, Møllergata 39 Oslo
- October 26, 19:00 – 21:00: Exhibition Opening, Grafill, Grafills hus, Møllergata 39 Oslo